Saturday, December 10, 2016

New Colorways For My 'Cultural Graffiti' Fabrics
Wearable Art

Marie-These Wisniowski

Introduction
My "Cultural Graffiti" suite on cloth and paper was based on my intention that my art marks should not be discernible, and so I did not want to base it on an alphabet or symbolic images (like pictograms) etc. I wanted my images to have the “feel” of typographical and image marks. I wanted my images to be vibrant but have a mystery to them, as if they were indecipherable messages from unknown urban peoples. I searched deep and decided to use my “matrix formatting” screen printing technique, which involves splicing together a number of images to form a matrix. As this ArtCloth and prints on paper suite was strategically planned, I called it my “Cultural Graffiti” suite.

ArtCloth: Cultural Graffiti I (Detail View).
This ArtCloth work was exhibited in 2004 at the "Festival of Quilts and the Knit & Stitch Conference", Birmingham, England.


New Colorways For My 'Cultural Graffiti' Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Range

Using white fabric as the base color, time honored hand dyeing and hand printing techniques are employed to create my signature rich, multi-layered 'Cultural Graffiti' designs on fabric whilst ensuring that the 'hand' of the fabric remains intact.

My 'Cultural Graffiti' design is now available in two new colorways - in rich magenta/purple hues and rich red/warm gold hues. These two fabrics are available for purchase. Please email at - Marie-Therese - if you wish to purchase these two unique fabrics. The design can also be dyed and printed on numerous natural fibers of your choice - please email me to discuss these options.

These fabric lengths can be used for wearable art, accessories, quilts, furnishing and interior design projects.

All photographs courtesy Marie-Therese Wisniowsk.

Title: 'Cultural Graffiti' in rich magenta/purple hues (draped on model view).
Technique: Dyed, over dyed, discharged, silk screened and foiled on rayon employing dyes, pigment, metallic paint and foil.
Size: 185 cm (wide) x 121 cm (high).

Title: 'Cultural Graffiti' (in rich magenta/purple hues - draped over stand).

Title: 'Cultural Graffiti' (in rich magenta/purple hues - full view).

Title: 'Cultural Graffiti' (in rich magenta/purple hues - detail view).

Title: 'Cultural Graffiti' in rich red/warm gold hues (draped on model view).
Technique: Dyed, over dyed, discharged, silk screened and foiled on rayon employing dyes, pigment, metallic paint and foil.
Size: 185 cm (wide) x 121 cm (high).

Title: 'Cultural Graffiti' (in rich red/warm gold hues - draped over stand).

Title: 'Cultural Graffiti' (in rich red/warm gold hues - full view).

Title:'Cultural Graffiti' (in rich red/warm gold hues - detail view).

2 comments:

Lesley Turner said...

Such beautiful cloth. I too have been working at making a mark without making a recognisable motif or symbol. I am making the mark of the energy of a colour - sewing, painting and drawing.

Art Quill Studio said...

Thanks for your kind words and comments Lesley. I am pleased to hear that you like the featured new colourways for the 'Cultural Graffiti' hand dyed and hand printed fabrics. I am also very fond of the beautiful marks/colours you have created with your signature eco-dyed, stitched and painted cloth pieces.