Saturday, May 28, 2022

Urban Moonlight - My Post Graffiti Doily
ArtCloth

Marie-Therese Wisniowski

Preamble
On this blog spot there are posts that center on my “Wearable Art” (e.g. scarves, digital or analogue created fabric lengths etc.) For your convenience I have listed these posts below.
A Selection of My Scarves
Leaves Transformed: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
My New Silk Rayon Velvet Scarves@Purple Noon Art And Sculpture Gallery
My Fabric Lengths@QSDS
My Fabric Collection:"Oh, Oh Marilyn and Mona!"@Spoonflower
2013 Australian Craft Awards – Finalist
My Scarves@2014 Scarf Festival: "Urban Artscape" Pashminas
My New Scarves and Fabric Lengths
New Range of Silk Neckties - Karma and Akash
AIVA: My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
New Colorways For My 'Cultural Graffiti' Fabrics
Byzantine Glow: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Wall Flower: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Ink Fern - A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Celebratory Fireworks
My New Silk ArtCloth Scarves
New ‘Unique State’ Silk ArtCloth Scarves
UBIRR - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Renaissance Man - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Banksia - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Ginkgo Love - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Garden Delights I & II - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Wallflower III - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Rainforest Beauty - Collection My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Spring & Autumn Flurry Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
La Volute Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Urban Butterfly - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
Acanthus Dream - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
“Cascading Acanthus” - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed 'Rainforest Beauty' Pashmina Wraps Collection
My ArtCloth Tea Towels: A New Collection of Digitally Designed Products
Through the Land it Roared . . . ArtCloth Shawl
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed ‘Urban Codes - Series 1’ Collection
Urban Moonlight - My Post Graffiti Doily
My New Hand Printed Fabric Design - "Morocco" ArtCloth
‘Vine Glow’
“Bush Banksia’s” Collection"
Releasing My New - ‘Unique State’ ArtCloth Scarves

If you like any of my artworks in the above links, please email me at - Marie-Therese - for pricing and for any other enquiries.


Introduction
A doily (also doiley, doilie, doyly, doyley) is an ornamental mat, typically made of paper or fabric, and variously used for protecting surfaces or binding flowers, in food service presentation, or as a head covering or clothing ornamentation. It is characterized by openwork, which allows the surface of the underlying object to show through [1].

From the Victorian era through to the early 1950’s, doilys were a functional mainstay in almost every room in the house and were predominantly made by women. In the Victorian era, well-born young ladies were taught to make doilys for their dowry chest. In the mid-70’s doilys got a second wave of interest, this time as a craft of workmanship. The 1975 Art of the Doily Exhibition in Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York gave the art of crocheted doilys a new light, and a homage to our mothers and grandmothers for whom doilys were a part of their daily lives.

Since that time doilys, in the mode of doily art, have resurfaced on urban city walls, created mainly by female graffiti artists in their quest to acknowledge the arts of the past into a present-day aesthetic challenging our perceptions of past, quaint, functional pieces for the home with that of a contemporary universal ‘lace’ aesthetic to beautify unadorned urban walls giving a softness to our harsh cityscapes whilst at the same time respecting textile traditions of the past.

Media used to create these stunning urban works include stencils, screen prints, paintings, crocheted lace webbing installations and wheat paste cut outs to name a few.

Post Graffiti is not Graffiti as per the definition of the latter being: “Inscriptions of figures, designs or words on rocks or walls or sidewalks or the like, or on artifacts made of plaster, stone or clay”. It is also not Graffiti Stage II. Graffiti Stage II includes additional techniques such as stenciling, wheat paste or techniques that are used to distinguish contemporary public-space artwork from territorial graffiti and vandalism.

Post Graffiti is a reaction to imagery and marks that are illegally created on public property. It incorporates a plethora of materials and techniques that are cloth specific. Imagery has the “feel” of, but is not Graffiti. It is therefore a reaction against Graffiti Art in the sense that it takes elements from Graffiti Art but regurgitates these elements in an unstructured and unfettered manner. The heavy structured compositional style of the Graffitists - with strong use of typography to deliver socio-political messages - is largely deconstructed by the Post Graffitists.

Relationship Elements between Graffiti and Post Graffiti Art
Relationship Elements between Graffiti and Post Graffiti Art.

For a more detailed discussion on the relationship between Graffiti and Post Graffiti Art please click on the following link: Graffiti Versus Post Graffiti Art.


Urban Moonlight - My Post Graffiti Doily Print
Most graffiti art is created during the darkness of night to avoid being caught. My post graffiti print, 'Urban Moonlight', encapsulates that theme by appearing to capture an urban city wall with the moonlight casting its light over a piece of doily street art which is reflected in the colors that have been used – blacks, various grey hues, soft pinks and whites.

The doily art in the background references some of the common techniques used to create street art imagery - stencils, screen prints and wheat paste cut outs. The aesthetic captures a distressed, time worn, weathered appearance whilst the surface imagery which includes images of white, silkscreened, stenciled flora emphasises these popular graffiti techniques which have been translated, collaged and printed onto a piece of cotton fabric.

Urban Moonlight
Title: Urban Moonlight.
Technique and Media: Distressed collaged doily, traditional and improvisational silkscreen prints employing transparent, opaque, and metallic pigments on cotton.
Size: 23 cm (width) x 33 cm (height). Edition: 1/1.

Urban Moonlight (Detail 1)
Title: Urban Moonlight (Detail 1).

Urban Moonlight (Detail 2)
Title: Urban Moonlight (Detail 2).

Urban Moonlight (Detail 3)
Title: Urban Moonlight (Detail 3).


Reference:
[1] Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doily

No comments: